- An electronic file storage tool
- Enterprise search engine
- Enterprise content management system
- A collaboration tool
- A Portal - Future
- A tool that manages business processes and forms - Future
- Business intelligence tool - Future
Benefits to SMU:
- To replace aging share drives
- To use a standard solution as other universities
- Allows remote access
- Is part of existing Office 365
Why would you want to switch to SharePoint:
- SharePoint files can be accessed from anywhere with any device (mobile phone, iPad or computer).
- Multiple people can edit the same document and even at the same time, without changes being lost using a web browser or through a local application.
- You can search for a document and find it without relying on the file creator’s use of a meaningful name.
- SharePoint allows you to collaborate with external users.
- SharePoint keeps versions of documents and allows you to revert to a prior version.
- No longer will you have to contact IT to change permissions on directories.
- No change in how you use MS Office tools, however the open and save operation will be slightly different.
- SharePoint is already part of Office 365, so it will show up as just another icon when you log in.